Tramps like us...

Tramps like us. Idiots. Raging fantastic sons of bitches crushing life on our own terms as hard as possible, as often as possible. Naysayers be damned.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Washington Phillips ~ I am Born to Preach the Gospel


So hey, I went to church today!!! Way out, right? I'm not much of a churchgoer per-say, and I have my misgivings about god and jeebus and allah and jewish god and stuff (well, not so much about those cats as the people who are really into them), but sometimes I'll admit, there's something comforting and rejuvenating about the whole going to church experience. Getting wise, ya know? Makes you feel like Jake and Elwood, and if you're lucky, Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, you too may just see the light once in a while.

I didn't really see the light today at the service, but I did light a candle just like Dewey Cox's mama once suggested, and that's always fun. Plus I got to see architecture that's much older and more beautiful than the majority of things in America-town (Lincoln Cathedral, highly recommended). All in all, I give the day an A for "seeing stuff" and a meh for "getting down with religious enlightenment."

Admittedly, some jive ass preacher up there talking to me about heaven and hell doesn't usually move me.... more often than not, church services just make me feel awkward, like a spy who just snuck into a Stonecutters meeting without having had a Stonecutter father or saving a Stonecutter's life. In that way, I'm a lot like Joliet Jake. But I don't think this detracts from my aura of God-tasticness. Like Jake, I also prefer to get my enlightenment on via the musical route. He had James Brown rockin the shit hard up in the pulpit, I have old Washington Phillips recordings.

This stuff is mysterious. Mysterious, and painfully... hauntingly beautiful. When, long ago, somebody recommended that I listen to some gospel music from the 20s, I consented, but mostly because that description was so far from what I'd been listening to at that point in my life that I was curious. I had no point of reference, no expectations. The sum total of gospel records I'd heard at that time were either soul singers like Sam Cooke or Aretha covering a gospel tune once in a while or Dylan covers. And the 20s? I knew that they were roaring, and that Babe Ruth did stuff. That was about it.

But the sixteen surviving Washington Phillips recordings immediately hit me. This music is the stuff of legend. Of human beings being perfectly human, and getting that idea down on record somehow. Singing with total conviction, about things they believe absolutely in. 100% realness... like, Wesley Willis, but with completely different sonic properties and no bestiality. Washington's voice is real, and his music is not only real, but totally unique. Today, people literally have no clue what the hell this guy was doing to illicit that sound, though there are many conflicting theories.

The problem with a lot of contemporary christian music, is that it sucks balls. And the general suckiness leads to you not wanting to listen to "jesus" tunes. But sometimes, a song is just perfect, and regardless of your religious beliefs or lack thereof, it's undeniably dig-able (think: stuff Johnny Cash sang sometimes, Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode, Paul Newman singing Plastic Jesus on guitar in that sad scene from Cool Hand Luke). Even if you don't believe in the theology behind it, you'd be a cold, souless sumbitch to not feel these songs. So, without further ado, here are some more such songs: the 16 surviving recordings of Washington Phillips.

Some tidbits:

Fans of Will Oldham music or Herzog films may recognize a track or two. The man has garnished quite a posthumous following/legend. Also, for what it's worth, Phish covers Phillips a lot.

I'm told that there are newer master recordings of this stuff floating around on CD and vinyl, though I haven't heard them. I doubt they'll sound better than this vinyl rip. The scratches add a little bit of human touch... or something.

Earlier today I was involved in a conversation regarding "music that stands the test of time." I'll tell you, this stuff will sound better in 2020 than it sounded in 1920. Not a lot of artists I can think of right now who fit into that unique category.

I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield
Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
And the preacher said, "You know you always have the Lord by your side"
And I was so pleased to be informed of this
that I ran twenty red lights in his honor
Thank you Jesus, thank you lord

No comments:

Post a Comment